Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Second Chance Cafe by Alison Kent


The Second Chance Cafe
I've literally started this post about half a dozen times now.  I don't know how else to start it other than saying this book is beautiful.  And, there are brownies...lots and lots of brownies!

The Second Chance Cafe is about Kaylie Flynn, who has recently returned to Hope Springs, the town she spent the majority of her childhood being raised by a foster family.  Her foster parents have both passed away, and she's recently purchased the house they left behind.  Abandoned by her parents and raised in the foster system, Kaylie is the product of a turbulent past and this house represents the happiest years in her childhood.  She has plans to turn the first floor into a cafe, but the house is in desperate need of repairs.  With several recommendations, she hires Tennessee (Ten) Keller, a local contractor, to take over renovations and repairs to make the house business ready. Ten has been living his entire adult life in a constant state of guilt over the arrest, and eventual imprisonment of his older brother, Dakota.  When Ten and Kaylie begin to open up to each other, they soon find themselves stepping over the lines of their professional relationship.    

As I said, this book is beautiful.  The story isn't just about Ten and Kaylie, it has depth beyond their love story.  The secondary characters like Luna and Mitch are important, and have stories of their own to share.  Seeing through their perspective makes the story that much stronger.

Did I mention this book has brownies?  Kaylie is a baker and her specialty is brownies.  I don't know how many times I found myself in desperate need of a brownie when reading this book, or chocolate...or brownies covered in chocolate.  The most unique part of this book was that the author actually includes recipes.  When I came across the first one, I literally wanted to rush home to make a batch of brownies.  It was a great touch to the book and very very bad on my diet.  :-)

The love story between Ten and Kaylie builds slowly which was very appropriate to the their characters. Both carried their own set of baggage and to have had them rush would have made it appear fake.  I loved how Ten and Kaylie become acquaintances then move on to friendship before becoming lovers.  My husband is my best friend and I appreciate seeing that deep bond develop in this book.  It's genuine and real and makes the fall that much sweeter.  

The Second Chance Cafe is the first book in a new series by Alison Kent, and the next story will feature another character from the book.  I really enjoy this type of series that gives each character (or couple) their own book.  It gives you closure at the end of each story but also gives you the pleasure of coming back to a book world you fell in love with.   

This book comes out on March 5th.  It is available for pre-order now and I've included the links below. Don't miss out on this beautiful love story by Alison Kent.

Pre-order The Second Chance Cafe in paperback from Amazon or Barnes and Noble
Pre-order The Second Chance Cafe for Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment