Friday, February 15, 2013

Defying the Odds by Kele Moon


Happy Friday! I almost considering doing at happy dance at my desk when it finally hit 5:00 but then I realized that would be extra time spent in the office when I could be hauling ass out the door!

I started reading this book yesterday and as soon as I opened it, I came face to face with a warning and disclaimer.  I'm totally not kidding.  I don't think I've ever seen a warning or a disclaimer on any book, except maybe in jest. So that kind of scared the ever living crap out of me. I mean, I read Fifty Shades which had a lot of kink (hehe, kinky fuckery) but even it didn't come with a warning.  I almost put on the brakes right then out of fear that I was in over my head....but this book was given to me by the publisher and I felt it was my duty to carry on, and I'm glad I did. 

Defying the Odds is about a UFC champion, Clay, and a small town waitress, Melody, who is on the run from her abusive ex-husband.  Clay had a rough start in life after his mother abandoned him at the age of 11.  Because of this, he doesn't exactly get along with others, hence his chosen profession.  Clay and Melody seem like an unlikely pair to begin with...someone who beats the shit out of people for a living and a victim of spousal abuse, but it actually worked really well.  I can't see Melody with anyone else - they were perfect for each other.  They complimented each other and showed how two broken people can become whole again after finding each other.

Its a beautiful love story and one I didn't expect after being scared shitless by the warning/disclaimer.  The book didn't require any type of warning in my opinion. I'm still trying to figure out why it was there in the first place.  There is nothing really shocking about the book.  The love scenes were hot, but nothing super kinky that would require a warning.  In fact, I think the love scenes helped prove the underlying theme of mending old wounds.  They both learned to trust again, both physically and emotionally.  

One downside I felt the book had was the language.  It was a bit rough around the edges.  Maybe I'm just a snob, but I literally cringed everytime the word "ain't" was uttered.  I understood this was necessary due to the setting, and I actually thought the author did a great job and making it sound authentic, but it just wasn't my thing.

This book is on the short side, but I didn't feel like it was lacking.  It is a quick read, and I appreciated that it didn't lag.  The ending brings it the story of Clay and Melody to a close but still leads nicely into a second book, which will feature another character from the book.  

Was it my favorite book?  No, but I still enjoyed it and thought it was a nice read.  What woman wouldn't like a book about a strong man risking everything to protect the woman he loves?

Purchase Defying the Odds in paperback on Amazon or Barnes and Noble
Purchase Defying the Odds for Kindle
Purchase Defying the Odds for Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment