Monday, February 11, 2013

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


This book was a saving grace for me.  I am anal when it comes to reading and I have rules (yes, rules...don't judge).  My husband constantly makes fun of me for all of my strict reading rules, but its my hobby so I can make my own rules if I want to, damnit!

My crazy anal book rules:
1. I always, always finish a book.  Even if it sucks or its not that interesting, I always finish.
2. If I start a series, I read every book in the series in order with nothing else in between and I always finish a series.
3. I do not read multiple books at a time.  I get confused easily. :-)
4. I don't start a series unless it has at least 2-3 books out already.  I seriously have NO patience.  Waiting for books is like baking brownies and sitting there in front of the oven twiddling your thumbs until the timer goes off - agony!

There aren't many but they are my rules and I do follow them...mostly to keep my sanity.

ANYWAY, back to the book review.  Obsidian came to me when I had broken a few of my rules in a row.  The first rule broken was #2 - I stopped reading a series two books in.  I just couldn't do it - book one, fantastic...book two, like nails on a chalkboard!  So that was strike one.  The second rule broken was #1 - I didn't finish a book.  The male character lead was nothing but a total douche.  Never a good sign, so I stopped mid-way through.

Yes, they are my rules and yes, I have the right to break them...but still - I felt like a book failure.  I didn't even finish a book - that I spent money on!  EPIC FAIL.

So, I went online and begin the search for something that would cure my book blues.  I looked through my Good Reads list and nothing stood out, so I went to bn.com and just started searching.  When I stumbled upon "Obsidian", my first thought was "Aliens, really?"  I don't do alien or space books - that's my nerdy husband, not me.  But the reviews on this book were awesome, and I thought "well it can't be that bad, could it?"

So, I forked out the cash and began my journey through an alien book still wondering how an alien could be hot.  Let me tell you, I soon found out.  I'm pretty sure Jennifer Armetrout could make a zombie look hot.  Daemon, um wow.  If all aliens were that hot, we would welcome them all to our planet with a big welcome sign that said "Women of Earth welcome you with open arms! Abductions welcome"

This book is written in first person, from the perspective of Katy, a girl who moves to a small podunk town in West Virginia from Florida.  She soon finds out her next door neighbors are anything but normal.  Dee and her brother Daemon respond to their new neighbor in completely different ways.  Dee welcomes her with open arms, while the very hot Daemon basically tells her to eat shit and die.  

I love the way Katy and Daemon's relationship begins - with both of them basically hating the ever loving crap out of each other.  There is no love at first sight or blossoming friendship, only absolute hatred, which makes for some amazing friction.

Secrets surrounding her new neighbors slowly come out and she find out she's not living next to two average teenage twins.  The book is witty and face paced and the story line is solid.  Often with romance novels, I find myself racing through the book just so I can get to the part where the two main charcters finally, well you know.  But Obsideion's story line kept you engaged without racing through it to get some steamy scenes.  Not to say that there isn't some good steam in this book.  Its YA, but the hot scenes are still hot, even if they are written to a YA audience.  

Overall, I thought this was one of the better YA series I've came across.  Sometimes YA books tend to be very whiny and well, adolescent, but this was well written and the characters easy to identify with (despite the whole alien thing, obviously).  The only thing I found semi-frustrating was the constant push and pull between Katy and Daemon.  After I while, I was like "OMG, get your shit together and figure this out".  But I think that was the point...you can't go from hatred to love in a few chapters. 

So, if you are in the mood for a new YA series, Obsidian his an awesome one to pick up (aliens and all)!

Purchase Obsidian for Kindle
Purchase Obsidian for Nook


No comments:

Post a Comment