Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Taste of Trouble by Gina Gordon

The most amazing thing happened to me yesterday!  I received my first ARC!  Only book nerds like me probably understood that sentence, so I will explain for those less psychotic book fans out there.  ARC's are Advanced Readers Copies sent from publishers.  Before a book comes out, they will send out an unedited ARC to a select number of people for reviews.  Those who receive ARC's have the chance to read the book and post thoughts/reviews in hopes of increasing the hype of the book before it's released.  So, in a nutshell, you get FREE books and you get to review them!  It's seriously like a book nerd's paradise.

So I got my first e-ARC yesterday.  I was deliriously giddy, and I seriously considered taking a picture of the book cover on my computer that said "Unedited Advanced Readers Copy" to proudly display to anyone that cared.

I've never read anything by Gina Gordon, but I will definitely be adding more books by her to my library.  She writes a good romance.  This is the type of book that makes you smile when you read it. It a classic romance and yet I still found myself surprised in certain parts.  I'd hate to call it a "beach read" because I think that title makes the book sound superficial and its not, it's light, witty and fun.  When I decide what to read, I like to switch things up so I don't get bored.  I'll go from a YA book to a classic romance, and then something a bit heavier.  And this would be the perfect book to read after something very emotionally heavy.   

This book centers around Liv, a baker who's about to fulfill her life-long dream of going into business for herself, and Jake, a promotional executive who is trying to move up in his company.  Jake is assigned, by his boss, to meet and persuade Liv to join their marking firm.  He knows he's in instant trouble when he first comes into contact with Liv and realizes she's everything he wants in a woman.  Liv, however, is very against the idea of dating and believes her life will be much better off without a man in it long term.  

I knew going in that Jake's deception was going to be the climax of the book - that part is obvious.  But Gina throws in some curve balls that I didn't see which kept it interesting.  The book is somewhat predictable at parts, but its a lighthearted read and I wasn't looking for a huge emotional roller coaster in this book.  I enjoyed the simplicity in it and when I finished it, I felt happy.  Also, Gina can write a love scene.  Yum.  After reading a few YA novels in a row, I needed a good love scene...or four.     

I thought Gina did a great job at developing the main characters.  I understood each of them and the choices they made.  The secondary characters were great too.  I especially liked Austin and actually wished he was around more.  I'm hoping she turns this book into a series, because I would love to get to know some of the other characters that were close to both Jake and Liv (especially Jake's friends).  

When this book comes out, feel free to pick it up and enjoy the beautiful love story that is Jake and Liv! :-)  


No comments:

Post a Comment