Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Over The Edge by Suzanne Carroll


Whenever I read a book by an author I'm not familiar with, I always google them or look up their Goodreads page.  I like to know what other books they've published, if the book I have my eye on is the beginning of a series and what kind of reviews are out there.  When I found Suzanne Carroll on Goodreads, , I was dying to know if she had anything else I could get my hands on.  I quickly found out that Over The Edge is her debut novel.  I was blown away.  This book is damn good and feels like its been written by a seasoned pro.

This book immediately draws you in as you find Zoe Harper in the middle of a full blown panic attack in the ladies room at her workplace.  She's realizing, or has been realizing for months that her wedding has turned into a full-blown circus.  Her crazy bitch mother-to-be has taken over and she can't seem to stop it all from happening.  She calls her fiance, Dan, for comfort and you quickly discover he's kind of a douche, not to mention a total Mama's boy.  Soon, Zoe comes to realization that she is basically engaged to Dan and his mother and dumps both their asses to start a new life.

Zoe works for Creed Construction.  The CEO, Angus Creed, is a self-made billionaire who turned his father's small construction company into global empire.  Everyone fears him.  He is known for being a hard ass in the boardroom and a player in the tabloids.  His failed engagement a few years back was all over the news and he's become a bit of a recluse ever since.

After a chance encounter one weekend, Zoe offer Angus dancing lessons for an upcoming charity function he must attend.  What starts out as a friendly gesture to the boss, turns into something more and the two find themselves feeling a very strong connection that surpasses their working relationship.

I love books that are written in first person.  Its like giving you a first class ticket into the characters brain.  There is a certain writing style I love.  I guess you would call it witty humor.

"My plan is to get in and out before he knows I'm here, so I tiptoe across the carpet.  I am the Secretary of Stealth."

Zoe's inner monologues are hilarious   She's not over the top funny, but just enough to make you laugh out loud in certain situations.  Also, this book is set in Australia, which makes the writing style slightly different.  Reading Australian phrases and slang made the book ever better.

The build-up in this book is slow, and concise ..but it still gives you goosebumps.  Considering Zoe has just broken off an engagement, she is reluctant to move past friendship, especially with her CEO.  The only downside I found about this book was its quick ending.  I felt so happy and elated in the last few pages, and I then turn the page and realize its over.  It just felt very abrupt.  An epilogue would have wrapped it up a little more neatly.  Also, this book is tame, and would be perfect for someone who likes romance, but doesn't necessarily want anything too steamy.

This book was given to me by the publisher as an advanced readers copy.  So, unfortunately  you will have to wait until its publication date of May 9th to download this book to your e-reader.  Don't miss out on this fantastic love story from down under!  ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment