Monday, April 15, 2013

The Water Witch by Juliet Dark (Carol Goodman)


The Water Witch: A Novel
So, yeah...I'm kinda stumped on this one too.

(If you haven't read my review of The Demon Lover, Book One in this series...follow this link.)
I have this love/hate relationship with Juliet Dark.  Ok, maybe hate is too strong of a word...maybe replace hate with a lukewarm "eh".  I don't know.  I went into this book, full steam ahead...totally excited, after the ending of The Demon Lover. After about fifty pages, I felt like my steam had ran out, and my eyes were looking around my living room trying to find things to clean.  But I pressed on, my perseverance rewarded with another great scene, and then nothing...I'd be back up, doing dishes or find myself watching Disney with my kids.

After reading two books by Juliet Dark, I'm starting to realize that the problem might not be the author, but me.  I'm a die-hard romance lover, and I just don't think there's enough of it in these books to keep me interested.  Maybe that makes me a shallow reader?  I don't know.  But the only parts of these novels that kept me grounded to my seat, and interested where the sections centered around Callie and a man.

The Water Witch takes place about four months after the events of The Demon Lover, which I will leave out for spoiler purposes.  Let's just say Callie, the main character is trying to move on from certain events and people in her life.  There are many new characters in this book, including a sexy wizard, a handyman, and a whole host of otherworldly creatures.

Juliet Dark's writing is still amazing and I constantly find myself drooling over her mad skills.  But, like I said in my first review  there is something missing.  It's that thing that keeps me running back to a book, dirty house be damned, to read all night, returning to work the next day, bleary eyed but overjoyed because, dammit  I finished it!!  She had quite a few amazing quotes I wanted to share, but I feel like too many of them give something away...so I am refraining in this post, even though it's one of my favorite things to do.  There are too many elements in the book that would be spoiled by revealing someone's name, or action too soon....so no quotes.  :-(

One thing I did really enjoy about this book were the love scenes were much improved.  I mean, there not  Fifty Shades or J.R. Ward, but they are definitely more descriptive, and not nearly as rushed.  I still feel like both The Demon Lover and The Water Witch should be classified as fiction, rather than romance.  The romance feels like a secondary plot to the primary story-line which is Callie, the town, and the characters that live in it.  A battle is brewing, and they are struggling with what changes may occur if the battle is lost, and Callie's love life is definitely secondary to all of that.  In a typical romance, the relationship between the two main characters...that first meeting, the first kiss, their struggles... it's all woven into the plot and is pivotal to the story-line   Honestly, you could have taken out Callie's love life, and still had the majority of this book, except maybe the last 30-50 pages, which is probably why I struggled through it.  

Now, one thing this book did have that the first did not...a cliffhanger!  That was probably it's saving grace, and the reason I'll read the next book when it comes out.  I loathe cliffhangers, and hate unanswered questions.  I'm like a child asking "why" all the time.  Patience isn't all its cracked up to be.

So again, yes...I'd recommend it...to some people.  For a die-hard romance reader like me (a smut slut...hehe), it's not quite the right fit, but it was a good ride.

To Purchase The Water Witch: A Novel (Fairwick Trilogy) - Paperback
To Purchase The Water Witch: A Novel (Fairwick Trilogy) - Kindle Edition
To Purchase The Water Witch: A Novel (Fairwick Triology) - Nook Edition




No comments:

Post a Comment