Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Lover At Last by J.R. Ward


Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #11)

Ok, so before I slay her book, I would first like to say that J.R. Ward is still one of my favorite authors and even if she wrote a book entitled "This book seriously sucks" I would still buy it.

That being said, Lover At Last was not one of my fav's in the Black Dagger series.  And no, it's not for the reason you are thinking.  Yes, this book is about a gay couple, but that was the least of my worries regarding the book.  It was actually one of the few parts I enjoyed about the book.  But more about that later.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is one of my top favorite series of all time. I can't tell you the number of people I have gotten hooked on this series from my endless rantings.   The last book, Tohr's book - I was actually pissed going into it.  How could she re-mate him?  Don't they only get one?  But I LOVVVED that book.  It was beautiful and had me in tears.  When J.R. announced her next book was on Blay and Qhuinn, I  had to give her mad props.  Let's all be honest.  We all know why we read a J.R. books.  They have a great plot, and she's a kick ass writer, but come on...  The real reason we all pay major bucks to crack open her book the minute it comes out is because the woman can write a sex scene like no other.  So when the reigning Queen of sex scenes decided to dedicate an entire book on two gay characters, what did her fans do?  They jumped up and down with glee!  It just goes to show how awesome and devoted we are to the series and J.R. Ward.

So the reasons the book was just "eh" for me.  First, it was long.  Like really, really long.  I don't mind a long book, but combined with several other reasons, I felt like it was endless.  Secondly, I've noticed this pattern taking place in the series.  I don't know if its always been there, or new in the last few books, but she seems to have books with just one main plot, and others that are have a ton of set up going on.  In Tohr's book, there was one main plot.  Most of what happened in that book revolved around Tohr and Autumn.  In Lover At Last, there are about fifty different things going on.  New characters are introduced, other's are made more prominent.  She's setting the ground for future books, which is great.  I'm glad the series will be continuing on.  But I felt like it took away from Blay and Qhuinn.  I wanted more of them, and their story and I felt everything else was a distraction.

Speaking of Blay and Qhuinn...I know you must be asking...how did she, you know??  Well, let me just say that the Queen does not disappoint.  Only J.R. Ward could write a romance novel for women, take two men, throw them in a room and make it totally hot.  I mean, come on...it's Blay and Qhuinn!  I'd still prefer a scene with V and Belle, or Wrath and Beth, but it was still pretty hot.

So, if you're a fan of the Black Dagger Brothers, I already know you're going to read this book.  You're already addicted, and there's no hope for you.  So, go buy the book and just know it's a long ride.  But the HEA for Blay and Qhuinn is worth it.

If you haven't read a single Black Dagger book....don't let this one be your judge.  Go out and pick up Dark Lover - Wrath's book.  You won't be sorry.  And then you'll be a junkie like the rest of us.  ;-)

Purchase Lover At Last: Black Dagger Brotherhood - Hardback Edition
Purchase Lover At Last: Black Dagger Brotherhood - Kindle Edition
Purchase Lover At Last: Black Dagger Brotherhood - Nook Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment