Monday, April 22, 2013

Suicide Note by Teresa Mummert


Suicide Note
"You can't force love. you can't control how someone else feels. You just have to enjoy it while it lasts and hope the ride doesn't end."

I read this book in a day...the majority of it on a bus filled with about fifty eight-year old kids. I'm pretty sure it's the only reason I kept my sanity. Suicide Note is a quick read, but it's entertaining and keeps you engaged and flipping the pages until the very end.

Don't let the name deter you.  No one actually commits suicide in this book.  I can't explain why the book is called what it is without giving something away, but know that there is a reason...just not the reason you fear.  All is well at the end of the book.  ;-)

This book is written in my favorite style - first person with the perspective switching between the two main characters.  This is how I'm writing my book, and I personally love it because it gives you the chance to dive into both characters heads and see the world from their own unique perspective.  Third person gives you this, but only to a certain extent.  An author can do so much more with first person... monologues are stronger, the character's inner voice is louder, and when that perspective can switch between the female and male character, it feels like an invisible circle is completed.  I was a psych major in college, so it's no surprise I like getting into peoples heads, and I guess book characters are no different.  

Suicide Note is about Shane, a soldier on a two week leave from deployment overseas, and Jenn (nice name, hehe), a young woman who recently suffered the ultimate betrayal in her relationship with her fiance.  Both are bruised and battered from recent breakups when they stumble into each other, and find that sometimes life gives you what you need the most at the exact right moment.

“When I met her, I saw her as someone else who needed saving but she had saved me. She had given me hope when I had given up on everything in my life.” 

I loved the flirty interactions between Shane and Jenn in the beginning of this book.  Their courtship was very cute.  They were drawn together so swiftly, it's almost like they're addicted to each other, but yet they're able to hold back and establish a connection before they become physical.  It's very intense, and yet playful at the same time.  There were so many scenes I absolutely loved.  The scene in the arcade when they play air hockey, yum.  The many scenes during her sisters wedding rehearsal when he put her ex in his place, also...yum.

 “You can be a cocky asshole to me. I deal with little pricks like you all of the time. But you leave Jenn the hell alone or the next time you take a piss, it will be through a fucking tube. Do we understand each other?” 

I loved watching their love grow, and the connection between them become stronger with every page.  Even with the obstacles they faced, and there were several, they still managed to become stronger in their love for each other.  And after all, isn't that what a romance novel is suppose to be about?  Love overcoming all?  :-)

This is a nice quick read.  Perfect for an lazy afternoon without kids, or husbands.  :-)  Grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, and take a few hours and enjoy some Shane time with Suicide Note.


Purchase Suicide Note - Kindle Edition
Purchase Suicide Note - Paperback Edition
Purchase Suicide Note - Nook Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment