Saturday, March 9, 2013

Wait for You by J. Lynn (Jennifer Armentrout)


Wait for You
Wow, just wow.  I love you Jennifer.  If my husband had just let me stay up one more hour (seriously, who needs to sleep?), I would have finished this book in one sitting - I couldn't put it down.  It was infectious.

I know I always say I love each book I review, but maybe, just maybe, its because I'm awesome and pick really good books and authors?  But seriously, this book was amazing.  Have you ever finished a book and sighed because you felt so contented and happy.  That is how I feel right now, because I literally just finished the book.

Wait for You is about a college freshman named Avery who has moved across the country to start a new life in West Virginia.  She needs a clean break from her past in Texas, and wants nothing more than to never be recognized as her past self.  On her first day of school, she literally runs head first into Cameron Hamilton.

"With the unruly dark waves, the luminous true blue eyes, the face and body to covet, Cam was hands down gorgeous.  I doubted there was a single girl on campus who didn't that that.  But he was more than a swoon-worthy hot guy.  Cam was charming, nice, sweet, and funny.  He was the kind of guy you wanted to bring home and show off - the kind of guy that was never single for too long and the one you fell head over in heels in love with."

Cameron Hutchinson is popular guy, loved by the girls and respected by the guys.  He's the all around package.  For that reason, Avery has no doubts he would never be interested in her.  When he actually begins to show an interest, she thinks its a joke.  Her friends think she's crazy and try desperately to change her mind.

""But we're your friends", Jacob sounded so pitiful that I started to feel bad.  He turned to Cam. "We totally support her going out with you."  Okay, I didn't feel bad for him.  "I like your friends, Avery."  Cam grinned at my arched look.  "Oh, we think she should," Jacob said. "Like she should do it right now." "We also told her you weren't a serial killer," Brit interjected. Cam nodded. "That's a glowing recommendation. Hey at least he's not a serial killer.  I'm going to put that on my Facebook profile."

This book deals with some heavy subject matter.  When I was explaining the book to my husband (late, late last night, while he was trying to sleep, as a punishment  for not letting me finish the book) he did understand why I would want to read it in the first place.  I said "Well the book is about a girl who was <spoiler> and then she <spoiler>", and his response was "wow, that sounds like a real downer of a book, why are you reading it?"  I tried to explain to him that even though the book is based on some emotional heavy material, the book is actually uplifting and humerus (I think he fell asleep in the middle of my explanation/punishment).  The reason the book isn't seriously heavy- the characters.  They are so witty and likable that you can't help but fall in love with them.

Like Cam, I couldn't get enough of Cam.  He was overconfident, bordering on arrogant, but his adorable personality totally made up for it.  He really made the book go from good to excellent for me, and he was the reason for every laugh out loud moment for me.

"Cam chuckled softly.  "You really haven't been listening to me at all.  You've been too busy staring at me."  "I have not!"  My entire face burned with that little fib and I hastily focused on where the couple had been.  They were gone now.  He nudged my shoulder.  "Yes, you were."  I screwed up my face.  "You are so beyond the acceptable level of arrogance "  "Arrogant?  I'm just stating the truth."  Cam tossed his notebook on the ground and leaned back on his elbows, eyeing me thorough his lowered lashes.  That damn, insufferable lopsided grin was on his face.  "There's nothing wrong with staring at me.  I like it."

Did I mention this book is hot?  Its a slow burn, but when the fire starts, it's yummy.  Avery and Cam have great chemistry.  Maybe a quote will help.  :-)

"The hand around my neck held me there, raised up on my elbows as his mouth devoured mine.  And that was the only world I could use as accurately explained how he kissed me.  Cam devoured me."

I've read other books by Jennifer Armentrout...her Onyx series is amazing and actually the reason I started writing reviews, but its a YA series so it's different compared to a book like this.  Not to insult Jennifer's YA series, because she can write one hot YA book (probably the hottest out there), but this was just a bit more grown up.  Obviously the subject material helped out, but the characters were a bit older and there weren't the boundaries that go with a YA book.  This book is categorized as New Adult which something relatively new.  I guess it's right in between Adult and YA...so basically young adults who can swear, drink and have sex, lol.  I like this category  it feels real to me.  It's also where many of my favorite books tend to come from - Beautiful Disaster, Easy, Hopeless etc.  It's like an updated version of YA, without the restrictions.  

Wait for You is well worth the read, and I have a feeling, based on the last chapter, that there may be a book or two in the future based on other characters in the book.  So I will say my book prayers and hope for that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment