Friday, March 8, 2013

Reckless by S.C. Stephens


Reckless
Holy Shit.  Best Damn Book Ever.  Yep, that about sums it up.

This series has been a love/hate relationship for me.  I think I've mentioned before, but I seriously hated Thoughtless (the first book in the series) when I first read it.  I actually considered not finishing it.  Romance books, by definition, are emotional.  But I don't think I'd ever experienced a book quite like Thoughtless.  I knew it involved a love triangle, and I had read reviews so I understood there was cheating involved.  I guess I just didn't realize the extent to which the hurt and suffering went.  Thoughtless tore me to shreds and then slowly stitched me back up.  I remember telling my husband "This is the stupidest, most goddamn frustrating book EVER!" and then he asked "So, why are you still reading it?" and the answer was because I couldn't put it down.  Even though I wanted to delete the book from my e-reader and never think about it again, I couldn't.  I was completely hooked.  I had to know Kellan and Kiera would make it.  And, omg....I'm so glad I stayed.  The ride, though completely insane and a total mind fuck, was so worth it.  Reckless was the perfect, perfect ending to this series.  Seriously, S.C. Stephens outdid herself with this one.  I was glued to every page and didn't want it to end.  

 When your relationship begins from a place of lies and deceit, I think trust would be hard to develop. For me, Effortless was the book in which they developed that trust their relationship was missing.  They both were terrified of cheating, and realized that in the end, they could only rely on each other.  In Reckless, I felt like that trust was completely solid and when tested, it holds up over and over.  I also saw Reckless focusing on the two of them growing stronger as a couple and learning to face whatever life threw at them.  I think without everything the went through together, they wouldn't have been able to make it through the the next phase of their relationship as Kellan's fame grew.

"Our relationship hadn't always been the most honest one.  But we'd sworn that we were going to hold nothing back from each other anymore, and I trusted him."

As I've said before, I have a thing for redeemable men in books.  Kellan Kyle is one of my favorites.  I think its because he's transformation is so extreme, but yet it isn't.  In Thoughtless, he does appear to be a total womanizer, and granted, he is.  But there's a deeply emotional reason for it.  He's searching for something, and when it finds it, he completely changes his ways, but his personality remains the same.  Reckless shows Kellan's completed transformation, and I seriously wanted to highlight half the book and give it to my husband as a guide for romantic gestures.  S.C Stephens - you write one seriously hot man.

"Maybe seeing my nerves on my face, Kellan discreetly handed me something.  It was a pale pink rose petal. My mind instantly rewound to the red and white petal-strewn bed he'd laid out for me.  As I stroked the silky petal, I smiled at the words written with a fine-tipped Sharpie.  Wwll, not words exactly.  Very carefully  he'd drawn a picture of an eye, the symbol for a heart, and a drawing of an animal that I could only assume was a female sheep - I love you."

One character I absolutely feel in love with in this last book was Griffin.  I've always liked Griffin,, how can you not?  He's hilarious  He has absolutely no filter and seriously says whatever comes to mind.  He's also the biggest horn dog known to man.  He has so many one-liners in this book that made me laugh out loud.  I loved seeing Griffin become a father...it was very sweet.  But I loved that he still remained classic Griffin, just maybe an upgraded Griffin - Griffin 2.0.

""Please, you guys aren't married."  He crossed his arms over his chest and glared at Kellan.  "No bachelor party, no marriage.  That's the law."  I matched Griffin's posture.  "That is not a law, Griffin."  He swung his head around and looked at me.  "Well it should be.  No T and A, no ball and chain."

The ending to this book.....sigh.  The ending is just gorgeous and brings the whole series to an amazing end.  I felt closure but I knew their journey wasn't over.  There were so many scenes that stole my heart.  I'm not going to list them, but I'll just say my favorite involves a secret Kiera tells Kellan at a very important moment.  Wow,omg and wow again.  You'll know it when you get there...it made me cry, it was so beautiful.  The whole book was beautiful.  Seriously, I really should have just stopped after the first line because it really was the best damn book ever.

"Passion, friendship, love, loyalty, trust...if you found the right person...you really could have it all."

Purchase Reckless in Paperback  (Amazon)
Purchase Reckless in Paperback (Barnes and Noble)
Purchase Reckless - Kindle Edition
Purchase Reckless - Nook Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment