Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Slammed by Colleen Hoover


Slammed
Can I first start by saying I heart this book.  I heart this book so hard...

Okay, I had to get that out.  Thanks.  I feel better now. :)

No wonder Colleen Hoover has become such a success.  This book is absolutely amazing.

Slammed is one of the big titles in the new category of romance called "New Adult".  I heard an editor classify it as the "Beverly Hills 90210 - The College Years" of romance.  And I guess I sort of agree, with one caveat   New Adult feels grittier to me.  It has a raw and emotional feel to it that a soap opera can't pull off.  Kelly and Dylan had their ups and down, but I didn't cry when they broke up or scream when things didn't go their way.  Authors in this genre have a way of sucking you into their stories and making you feel, and bleed for the characters they create.  I don't think I've been so stressed, cried or been so angry over a book more than a New Adult novel.

In Slammed, you meet Lake, or Layken who recently lost her father and is moving from Texas to Michigan with her mother and younger brother to start a new life.  She's utterly depressed about the move, and makes it clearly known to her family.  Her opinion is completely reversed when she meets her neighbor Will.  He's older, totally hot and Lake finds herself forming an deep and instant connection to him.  They both free-fall for each other, until their world's are rocked, and they discover the connection they feel can be no longer.  But how do you walk away from your destiny?

I love New Adult, but I must admit, it's an interesting category in romance.  In most categories of this genre, as a reader, you know what you're getting out of a novel.  In YA - teens, with little to no sex.  Paranormal, well...that does really require an explanation.  Erotica - full out banging, lol.  But New Adult...it's kind of all over the place.  I've read some books in this category that mimic a contemporary romance novel, and the characters happen to be younger.  I've also read New Adult books that edge closer to YA, with fade to black sex scenes or none at all.
"His breath becomes heavier as his lips slowly move across my shoulder and onto my neck.  The room starts to spin, so I close my eyes.  His lips make their way to my jaw and closer to my mouth.  When I feel him pull away, I open my eyes and he's watching me.  There's a slight moment of hesitation in his eyes just before his lips close over mine."  
Slammed is closer to YA I think.  There is no sex in this book.  But I think this is where Colleen's talent as a writer kicks in, because there is no lack of heat.  Will Cooper is H.O.T.  When he gets on that stage and reads poetry (I know, right?!  Poetry!) it's flat out sexy.  The movie rights have been sold for this book, and I CANNOT wait to see these slam poems done on stage.  It's hard to imagine the flow when you're reading them on the page, so seeing and hearing them will be every Hoover fan's dream!
“So you keep your ocean, I'll take the Lake.” 
I loved this novel so much.  I devoured it in an afternoon...and moved into the sequel, Point of Retreat, right away.  I highly recommend it.  There is a third book also called "This Girl" which is a retelling of Slammed from Will's POV.  I haven't read it yet, but I definitely plan to.
“I got schooled this year by boy. 
A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love  
with.And he taught me the most important thing of all... 
To put the emphasis  
On life .” 

Purchase Slammed - Kindle Edition
Purchase Slammed - Paperback Edition
Purchase Slammed - Nook Edition




No comments:

Post a Comment